Theresa (Diane Keaton) is a dedicated school-teacher of deaf children during the day. Once she moves out of her parents’ place, she chooses to spend her evenings seeing adult films, cruising bars, and looking for abusive men with whom she can engage in ever more violent sexual encounters. She furthers her self-destruction by a rather aimless intake of drugs and alcohol, leading to both demeaning and dangerous situations, completely at odds with her daytime commitments. In need of a father figure, she makes herself available to numerous men and eventually pays a price for her hedonistic behaviour.
about the film
Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Judith Rossner, the sexual themes sparked a public controversy when the film was first released, and the film contains one of the most memorable endings in cinema history. This cast includes Diane Keaton, Tuesday Weld, Richard Gere, Tom Berenger and William Atherton. (And yes, that is Brian Dennehy – making his screen debut – about to kiss Diane Keaton’s nipple in the screenshot below.)
– Mike Nichols, Sydney Pollack and Roman Polanski all turned down the opportunity to direct the film.
– screen debut of Brian Dennehy (and also introducing for the first time in major roles Richard Gere, Tom Berenger and LeVar Burton).
– Diane Keaton won Best Actress Oscar for the other film she starred in this year (“Annie Hall”).
– The events in the book and the film were inspired by the brutal real-life murder in 1973 of 27-yr-old New York City schoolteacher Roseann Quinn.
– The film has never been released on DVD, and is not available on the home video market (probably due to music licensing, and the fact that Donna Summer’s estate (once she caught Christianity) won’t allow her songs to be used in this film anymore). It did have a VHS and LD release, and these are now collectors’ items.
2.02GB | 2 h 15 min | 1024×576 | mkv